Monday, December 24, 2012

7w5d ultrasound - not great

It's taken me several days to write this. Our ultrasound last Thursday didn't go as expected. We still have a baby with a beating heart (although we didn't get to hear it, only see it), but Baby G was measuring behind about a week and a couple days. This could be something to worry about or nothing to worry about. At the ultrasound I was 7 weeks 5 days but was measuring more like 6 weeks and 3 days. I didn't take this news well at all. All day Thursday I was in a state of mourning almost. I was being so pessimistic thinking this was it, we were eventually going to lose this baby. I couldn't snap out of it no matter how many times I googled it and read positive stories. I read more good outcomes than not and yet the not so good outcomes stuck with me the hardest. John was absolutely wonderful. He was staying so positive and really looking out for my mental well being. He really listened to me and then gave me reasons why we have to stay positive. It was a talk I will never forget. Our talk lasted all night. Even though I was being a negative Nelly, it was still so comforting that one of us was not ready to give up this fight. It makes me tear up now just recapping this. I feel that much closer to him for being there when I needed him the most.

Basically, there could be alot of factors on why Baby G is measuring behind. First the baby could be 2-3 days behind due to late implantation. I have always thought Baby G implanted late. In addition to this, the ultrasound machines are trying to measure something that is the size of a piece of rice. You can read all the time that as long as you are measuring within a week + or -, than you are doing good. The machine could be off. And it really depends on the skill of the person doing the ultrasound. Where they start the measurement and where they end it. So I'm much better than Thursday and Friday. It helped being distracted all weekend with a Christmas party Friday night, and family Christmas Saturday and Sunday.

Here is the updated ultrasound pic of Baby G along with the yolk and the gestational sac. I know it's can be hard to determine what is what in these pictures.

Here is another picture that compares the first ultrasound to the 2nd ultrasound.


 Although the first pic was taken a little less zoomed and the second was zoomed in a bit, there is still an obvious difference. The time between the 2 ultrasounds was exactly 2 weeks but baby only grew about a weeks worth. So we are hoping for either a growth spurt or that the baby is consistent with being a week behind but grew a weeks worth. It's still a question whether the baby was considered behind at the first ultrasound. The doc said everything looked good then. He never said what I was measuring exactly, except that I wasn't quite 6 weeks then, which was true. So it still disturbs me some that if everything was fine then, why is Baby G's growth stunted a bit and didn't grow a whole 2 weeks worth? Again, I really need to just refer to all the factors on why this could be and let it be in God's hands.

ALL THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS WELCOME!  Baby G needs all that he/she can get :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment